Thursday, March 17, 2011

Change of direction!

I've basically been using this blog as some kind of appeal to potential employers, talking about what I think makes me a good resource to work with, but I think the space is better used to keep track of actual code that I write, and problems that I solve.  You should probably not be expecting me to solve P vs. NP or anything like that (whatever happened with Vinay Deolalikar's proof anyway?)

There are actually a few more reasons for this; a major one being that I will be migrating this blog itself to a custom one that I want to make using either couchbase or neo4j (haven't decided as yet).  I am leaning towards neo4j to try and develop some tag-based traversal/retrieval.  Another reason is that I find myself wanting to go back and remember how I solved a particular problem, but not being able to remember it.  It would help to be able to track these items for posterity.  It might even help out others that are searching for a solution.

Today's very small problem solved is one relating to Sharepoint SOAP calls to a list that you want sorted by a custom date field (Mine was called "Visible Date", which is internally represented as "Visible_x0020_Date".  A space is converted to "_x0020_" in Sharepoint.)  Sorting in descending order requires the CAML query to be as follows:
<Query>
    <OrderBy>
        <FieldRef Name=\"Visible_x0020_Date\" Ascending=\"False\" Type=\"DateTime\" />
    </OrderBy>
</Query>

You need to specify the whole thing in the Query tag.  You also need to capitalize name, strangely enough.  Lesson of the day: watch out for capitalization in SOAP calls!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home